Healthy Homemade Treats for Your Dog
Every dog parent is fully aware of the power of treats when it comes to housebreaking or raising canine companions. It is a very crucial element in positive reinforcement training, which almost all dogs respond very well to. Unfortunately, it is not very popular to find dog treats in commercial supermarkets that won’t put them at a risk of obesity. Many of store-bought treats are packed with fat, sugar and preservatives that can lead to unnecessary weight gain and long-term health problems. The best thing to do is make the treats at home by yourself.
Here are two simple recipes that’s not only very easy to make, they also seem to be a hit for most dogs:
• Apple Crunch Pancakes
Ingredients: 3 cups of water, ¼ cup of applesauce, 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 medium egg, 4 cups of whole-wheat flour, 1 cup of dried apple chips and 1 tablespoon of baking powder
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix water, apple sauce, honey and egg in a bowl
3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly until the batter is well-blended
4. Pour the batter into a lightly-greased muffin pan
5. Bake for 90 minutes
• Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt
Ingredients: 32oz vanilla yogurt and 1 cup peanut butter
How to make it:
1. Melt the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl
2. Mix the yogurt and melted peanut butter
3. Pour the mix into individual cupcake wrappers
4. Place in the freezer for at least six hours
If you’re not the baking type, you can always just slice some bananas, berries, watermelons and apples, and put them in ice cube trays and let them freeze. Dogs love cooling off with these treats especially after a vigorous play session.
Do you have a favorite healthy homemade treat for your dog? Why not share it in the comments below.