Dangerous Edibles

Don’t Eat That! Dangerous Edibles for Your Frenchie

Ok, dog lovers, admit it. How many of you have snuck your Frenchie some cheese from time to time, or a piece of breakfast toast? Dogs are skilled and consummate beggars, and sometimes we just can’t resist those big brown eyes. Some foods that are edible for humans can pose major health risks for dogs, though, so you may want to double check before you hand dangerous edibles over to your pup. Here’s a list of dangerous edibles that should be kept far away from your four-legged friend.

  • Avocado – Large amounts of this superfood can cause stomach upset for your Frenchie, and the pit, if swallowed, has the potential to cause a gut obstruction
  • Alcohol – A tipsy pup should never be taken lightly.  Alcoholic drinks, or food that contains alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stumbling, lethargy, difficulty breathing, tremors, a change in blood pH, coma and even death, in severe cases. As a favor to your furry friend, keep your party animal away from the booze.
  • Bread Dough – Everyone loves the smell of fresh baked bread, but make sure that dough is kept out of reach of your dog.  If your Frenchie eats raw dough, the warmth of their stomach makes the yeast multiply, causing the dough to expand enormously. This not only puts pressure on your pup’s diaphragm, causing breathing problems, but the yeast also produces alcohols during the process, which inevitably lead to doggie inebriation.  If your furry friend has eaten bread dough, you might notice a swollen belly, lack of coordination, disorientation, and vomiting (or attempt to vomit), and seizures or coma in severe cases.
  • Bones – Cooked bones, especially from poultry like chicken or turkey, can easily splinter and perforate your pup’s gastrointestinal tracts. Even large beef bones, which some dog lovers give as chew toys, can cause teeth to break. Ouch!
  • Tea, Chocolate and Coffee – As yummy as they may be for us, theobromine and caffeine are the trouble-making chemicals for your Frenchie in these foods. Even just a few ounces of dark chocolate can be dangerous and large amounts of tea, coffee, coffee beans, or cocoa bean mulch might also have toxic effects on your pup. If your Frenchie eats any of these, keep an eye out for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity. In some cases, heart arrhythmia, tremors or seizures may happen.
  • Fatty Foods – Those bites of turkey leg or slices of bacon might not be as harmless as you think! The sudden introduction of high fat foods into your Frenchie’s diet increases their risk for pancreatitis, which is a very painful inflammation of the pancreas, and could cause nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and severe abdominal pain.
  • Fruit Pits and Corn Cobs – These can both pose a risk for aspiration into your pup’s lungs (in the case of small pits), but might also cause choking or bowel blockage for your dog.
  • Garlic and Onions –Some dog lovers swear by garlic to support their pup’s health, but both garlic and onions are actually toxic for your Frenchie, and can cause a breakdown of blood cells, bloody urine, weakness and high heart rate.
  • Grapes and Raisins – Although veterinary scientists are still working on figuring out the exact causes for grape toxicity, the eating of grapes and raisins has been associated with kidney failure in dogs. Some canine companions eat grapes with seemingly no effect, while others develop severe symptoms after eating very small amounts. Until more is known about the effects of grapes on dogs, best to avoid them altogether.
  • Macadamia Nuts – Hide those delicious cookies. Although it’s not likely that eating macadamia nuts will put your pup in mortal danger, your Frenchie may still develop weakness, tremors, fever, and muscle pain – if you see these signs in your pup, supportive veterinary care can help until the symptoms go away.
  • Xylitol – This artificial sweetener is becoming much more widely used in sugar-free gum and other sugar-free food products for people. Xylitol is not so great for your dog, though – it leads to a quick, severe drop in blood sugar levels, even within 20 to 30 minutes after eating it. Your Frenchie might develop disorientation and seizures, and large amounts might even cause your pup to experience liver failure. Any xylitol ingestions should warrant an immediate visit to your vet!

Our dogs can be tremendously innovative when they’re finding ways to get to seemingly tasty items, and in spite of our best efforts at keeping them out of reach, accidents can happen. If you suspect that your Frenchie has eaten any of these dangerous edibles, it’s always best to follow the ‘better safe than sorry’ rule and call your veterinarian right away, even if you’re not seeing any changes in your pup yet. In some cases, a quick phone call could mean the difference between life and death!

Share This:
Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedintumblr